Me: Thanks for showing up : ) I’m Nat.
You: Hi Nat.
Me: I found you a while back and love what you do. I’ve been looking into Conversation Design and feel I’m a good fit for it.
Me: So I wondered if you need any help at the moment and if my experience could be useful to you.
You: [Sipping tea]
Can I quickly tell you a little bit about my background?
You: Umm. I’m a bit busy…
OR — You: Sure, go for it.
Me: Thanks. Well, I’m excited about Conversation Design and think I have five areas of expertise that might be useful to someone like you:
- I’m trained in conversion copywriting so I use research and data to inform everything I write. Before I can solve the client’s problem it’s vital I get to know their customer well, listening to how they describe their pain points so I can echo their language.
- Emerging technology is my thing. I’ve worked on blockchain projects, biometrics, have written for apps, worked in digital health, and most recently learned a ton about computer simulation, digital twins, and deep reinforcement learning.
- My MA is in anthrozoology (human-animal studies) and the subject of anthropomorphism comes up a lot. I see an interesting crossover between how we relate to the animal ‘other’ and the robot ‘other’ and where natural human behaviour can get in our way.
- Before my MA I studied conceptual photography, learning to tell stories through imagery. It taught me to look more closely at how people communicate and to examine what’s excluded as much as what’s included in the presentation of a story.
- My web career spans 15 years. Knowledge of HTML helps me work well within a team of developers and engineers, as well as alongside marketers and digital experts as a hybrid across the fields of copy and design, tech evolution, and human behaviour.
You: Do you have any direct experience writing for chatbots or in designing conversations?
Me: Not yet but I’m looking into all the ways I can learn.
You: Sorry Nat, we need people with more experience.
OR — You: Okay, your other experience sounds relevant though.
Me: That’s good to hear. Ideally I’m looking for a new role or contract from 1 December, but if there’s anything you think I can help with before then I could do some voluntary work to see if it works out?
You: Whereabouts are you?
Me: I’m in Warwickshire but I’m all set up for remote working too.
You: Okay, well we could have a quick chat to begin with.
Me: Great. Do you want a video or phone call, or email chat?
You: Let me just check what’ll works best.
Me: Okay, thanks.